If you’re looking for a delicious and easy breakfast recipe, look no further than this Blueberry Buttermilk Breakfast Cake. Made with fresh blueberries and buttermilk, this cake is the perfect combination of sweet and tangy. This Blueberry Buttermilk Breakfast Cake is perfect for a lazy weekend morning or for brunch with friends. Enjoy it warm or at room temperature, with a cup of coffee or a cold glass of milk.
The Buttermilk Benefits
In cake recipes, buttermilk serves multiple purposes. Firstly, it acts as a tenderizer that adds moisture to baked goods from the very beginning. Additionally, buttermilk’s tangy flavor may not always be apparent, but in a vanilla buttermilk cake, it balances out the sweetness and contributes a creamy, buttery taste.
Finally, buttermilk also plays a crucial role in helping cakes rise.
Blueberry Buttermilk Breakfast Cake Ingredients
1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened.
zest from one lemon
1/2 cup sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 cups flour, divided.
1 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoon baking powder
2 cups fresh blueberries
1/2 cup buttermilk
1 tablespoon coarse sugar for topping
How to Make Blueberry Buttermilk Cake from Scratch”
This Blueberry Buttermilk Breakfast Cake recipe uses simple, wholesome ingredients and easy-to-follow instructions to create a delicious and satisfying cake from scratch that’s perfect for breakfast or brunch.
To start, you’ll need to gather your ingredients, including unsalted butter, lemon zest, sugar, an egg, vanilla extract, flour, salt, baking powder, fresh blueberries, buttermilk, and coarse sugar for topping. Once you have everything ready, it’s time to get started!
The first step is to cream together the butter, lemon zest, and sugar until smooth and fluffy. Then, you’ll add in the egg and vanilla and beat until combined. In a separate bowl, you’ll whisk together the flour, salt, and baking powder.
Next, toss the blueberries in a small amount of flour, which will help them distribute evenly throughout the cake. Add the flour mixture to the butter mixture a little at a time, alternating with the buttermilk, until everything is well combined. Gently fold in the blueberries, taking care not to overmix the batter.
Once your batter is ready, spread it evenly into a greased 9×9 inch pan and sprinkle with coarse sugar. Bake at 350 degrees for 35-40 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean. Let the cake cool for 15 minutes before slicing and serving. Enjoy!
Looking For Other Breakfast Ideas?
Check out these other breakfast options that offer amazing flavors and are easy to make!
- Creamy Blueberry French Toast
- Banana Muffins
- Baked Apple French Toast One Pan Wonder
- Easy Pumpkin Spice Muffins
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- zest from one lemon
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cups flour, divided
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 cups fresh blueberries
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1 tablespoon coarse sugar for topping
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 9 inch by 9 inch pan and set aside.
- In a medium mixing bowl, cream together the butter, lemon zest and sugar.
- Add the egg and vanilla and beat until combined.
- In a separate mixing bowl, whisk together the 1 and 3/4 cup of the flour , salt and baking powder . Toss the blueberries in the remaining 1/4 cup flour.
- Add the flour mixture to the creamed mixture a little at a time alternating with the buttermilk until combined. Gently fold in the blueberries.
- Now spread the batter into the prepared baking pan. Sprinkle with coarse sugar.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes or until it is cooked through and toothpick is clean. Let rest for 15 minutes before serving.