C’mon, you need this dish in your winter rotation! This chili is a unique combination of ingredients that takes chili to the next level with chipotle in adobe sauce; sweet potato complemented with yummy chicken broth and some mild ground Italian sausage for extra flavor satisfaction. This chili is smoky with the sweet flavor from the sweet potato that does not disappoint! This delicious meal will warm you up after work, especially on those snowy days! In winter, chili is always a good idea, right?
All we want is chili during the winter season, especially living in Michigan, a day of outdoor winter activities like sledding, skiing, or shoveling. Something is so deliciously happy about sitting down to enjoy a simple bowl of chili with just the right amount of season that offers a big flavor that warms you from the inside out!
This flavorful chipotle sweet potato chili recipe is made without beans; alternatively, I used sweet potatoes instead to bulk up the recipe. However, you can feel free to add black beans, red beans, or pinto beans.
- 1 Why I love chipotle sweet potato chili
- 2 HEALTHY CHIPOLTE SWEET POTATO CHILLI INGREDIENTS
- 3 HOW TO MAKE HEALTHY CHIPOTLE SWEET POTATO CHILI:
- 4 Garnishing Chili Fav’s:
- 5 Can I freeze Chipotle Sweet Potato Chili?
- 6 Is this chili Keto or Paleo friendly?
- 7 Chipotle Sweet Potato Chili
Why I love chipotle sweet potato chili
I tell you all this to let you know how comforting chili is. This is straight-up relief in a bowl, and It’s warm cuddles underneath your favorite blanket, and I think it is true love in a bowl.
This dish is a cozy bowl of smoky spices, the classic chicken broth, and chunky peeled and chopped sweet potatoes. It takes the creamy, hearty bowl of chili and raises it to new heights with refined spiciness! The smoky flavors from the finely chopped chipotle in adobo sauce are so enjoyable and peppy!
And one great thing about this chili, it is a collection of everything in one big pot, and it is a simmer-type chili. It is the most low-maintenance dish you will make. Don’t rush the process, the longer you allow this to simmer, the better the results. The flavors can get the time and meld together.
Before we take a look at the ingredients though, I wanted to point out that if you are looking for those comfort foods that stick to the ribs, as they say, you should check out my Authentic Italian Lasagna Love Recipe ❤ or Easy Bolognese Sauce With Pasta.
HEALTHY CHIPOLTE SWEET POTATO CHILLI INGREDIENTS
- Sweet potatoes
- Chicken broth
- Italian sausage
- White onion
- Green pepper
- Chipotles with adobo sauce
- Chili powder
- Black pepper
- Canned fire-roasted tomatoes
HOW TO MAKE HEALTHY CHIPOTLE SWEET POTATO CHILI:
- Begin by removing the sausage from the casings and browning the Italian sausage, in a deep pot, breaking up the sausage with a potato masher if needed to get small pieces.
- Remove the Italian sausage from the pot and set it aside
- Using the remaining fat in the pot, add the green pepper and onion and cook until softened.
- Take the sausage to the pot and add the diced tomatoes
- Add in all of the spices, including the chipotle peppers mixing thoroughly
- Add the cauliflower rice then followed by the sweet potatoes.
- Add the broth, making sure the texture of the mixture looks like chili, not soup!
- Then add salt to taste.
- Cook the mixture on a low simmer for 3-4 hours. You can use a slow cooker if you wish. Transfer mixture cooked on the stovetop into a slow cooker, cooking on low for 4 hours.
- Check that the sweet potatoes are soft, and the broth delivers a warm, slightly spicy flavor. Then my friend, the chilli is done.
- Serve to individual bowls and garnish with Cilantro.
Garnishing Chili Fav’s:
Here are some of my all-time garnishes for this nutritious chipotle sweet potato chili. Warning, not all additions are healthy but certainly yummy. Try your favorite cheese, sour cream, Jalapeno, tortilla chips, green onion, or even greek plain yogurt.
Can I freeze Chipotle Sweet Potato Chili?
- But of course! Make more, and you will be pleased you did!
- To freeze this sweet potato chili recipe, prepare as instructed above and allow the chili to cool. After it has cooled down, I individually divide the chili into freezer containers.
- To reheat, remove from the freezer and transfer to the refrigerator the night before the day you plan to eat. When you are ready to eat, reheat in a pan over medium heat, stirring occasionally.
Is this chili Keto or Paleo friendly?
Yes! This chili recipe is Paleo-friendly. This is technically a low-carb recipe and therefore would qualify for KETO. The sweet potato is a lower carb option than a potato, and cauliflower rice is used instead of traditional rice, and there are no beans present.
The key, like with any option for KETO will be the portion size. Here we allowed for about a cup and a half (11.8 ounces) per serving. This is a very hearty chili so depending on your appetite you may only need a cup, reducing the carbs.
3 sweet potatoes, peeled and chopped 2 cups chicken broth 1 pound mild Italian sausage, ground 14 oz diced canned fire-roasted tomatoes, drained 1 cup chopped white onion 1/2 cup green pepper, diced 3 cups finely chopped or rice cauliflower 1 teaspoon garlic 3 chipotles with adobo sauce, chopped finely 1 teaspoon cumin 1/2 teaspoon paprika 1/2 teaspoon chili powder 1/4 teaspoon black pepper salt to taste Fresh Cilantro to garnish Any extra toppings you would like, cheddar cheese, sour cream, tortilla chips if diet allows.
3 sweet potatoes, peeled and chopped
2 cups chicken broth
1 pound mild Italian sausage, ground
14 oz diced canned fire-roasted tomatoes, drained
1 cup chopped white onion
1/2 cup green pepper, diced
3 cups finely chopped or rice cauliflower
1 teaspoon garlic
3 chipotles with adobo sauce, chopped finely
1 teaspoon cumin
1/2 teaspoon paprika
1/2 teaspoon chili powder
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
salt to taste
Fresh Cilantro to garnish
Any extra toppings you would like, cheddar cheese, sour cream, tortilla chips if diet allows.
If you enjoyed this recipe, please comment your thoughts below! Also, to not miss any other amazing recipes, follow Food Devoted on Instagram | Facebook | Pinterest and sign up to receive our blog notifications by subscribing to our email.