With the colder weatherl season comes a big craving for pumpkin spice flavors. A family favorite at my house is these pumpkin muffins that deliver a fantastic spice flavor without the unhealthy fats that go with muffins. We can then justify eating two of these muffins throughout the day rather than just one! Bonus: Healthier Option for Pumpkin Spice Muffins
Pumpkin Spice Muffins fall in that category of wrong choices. Pumpkin Spice Muffins can weigh over 400 calories per muffin at those fast-food breakfast outlets. But believe me when I say that this recipe will not only take your calories to below 200, but it does so without sacrificing flavor in any way! The fact is all muffins are not equal. Most people think that choosing a muffin as a breakfast option is healthier. If you’re not careful, the wrong muffin choice in the morning can take over 25% of the daily calories we should, Wink! Wink! be taking in.
Pumpkin Spice Muffins could be considered to fall in that category of wrong choices. Pumpkin Spice Muffins can weigh over 400 calories per muffin at those fast-food breakfast outlets. But believe me when I say that this recipe will not only take your calories to below 200, but it does so without sacrificing flavor in any way!
Easy Pumpkin Spice Muffins With These 3 Ingredients
- One box spice cake mix. You likely can substitute a yellow cake with the spice mix and add spices in, but to be honest with you, why pick a simple recipe and make it more complicated? This type of mix is easy to find in grocery stores, so put it in your basket on your next trip to have on hand when you need it. I usually keep two or three mixes in my pantry as standard practice.
- One (15 ounces) can of pureed pumpkin. Be sure you are not purchasing pumpkin pie mix.
- A 1/3 cup of applesauce, which is equal to one of those small snack size applesauce cups you can purchase for lunches.
Tips & Tricks
- This recipe will make a dozen of traditional cupcake-sized muffins or six large muffins as pictured.
- Be sure you use muffin liners with this recipe as they are so moist they will not be able to remove them. I even take the extra step to spray oil, lightly, inside the liners to be sure they peel with ease.
- To keep the muffins uniform, you need to use a 4 Tablespoon stainless steel cupcake scoop like the one here (Affiliate link). I mean, look how perfect the scoops are!
If you’re looking to throw calorie caution to the wind and want amazing dessert options, then check out:
- Every Oven is unique, so that cooking times can be slightly different based on your Oven, so keep checking after 30 minutes. The muffins are done once a toothpick inserted in the middle of the muffin is comes out clean.
- To prevent the muffins from becoming soggy, take them out of the cupcake pans as soon as you can handle them, about 5 minutes. You don’t want the steam to pool in the pans tins’ bottom, making the bottom of the muffin soggy. Put them on a rack to cool.
Easy Healthier Pumpkin Spice Muffins
If you enjoyed this recipe, please comment your thoughts below! Also, to not miss any other amazing recipes, follow Food Devoted on Instagram | Facebook | Pinterest and sign up to receive our blog notifications by subscribing to our email.
Fall season in a muffin!
Comments are closed.