One of the best entertaining parts at home is sharing some of your favorite appetizers. Whether it’s a precursor to a meal or some other planned activity, the right combination of appetizers sets the stage for the experience your guests will have! This Sweet and Savory Cheese Ball should be your go-to for a successful get-together!
When planning for a gathering I always strive to have a variety of cold and warm appetizers. In this instance, this cheese ball recipe has been in my family for generations and is always served at family gatherings! The sweetness of the pineapple is layered with the savory notes from the seasonings and nuts.
Suppose you are looking for other amazing appetizers to serve your guests at your gathering. In that case, you should check out my other appetizer recipes that are family favorites like my Amazing Veggie Dill Dip, Baked Cheesy Onion Dip, or the Best Warm Spinach Artichoke Dip to name a few!
Sweet And Savory Cheese Ball Ingredients
- Cream cheese blocks (8 ounces), softened
- Green onions, finely chopped
- Seasoned salt
- Green pepper, finely chopped
- Crushed pineapple, drained well
- Pecans, chopped, divided
Let’s Get This Together
In a medium bowl, join the softened cream cheese, green onions, green pepper, crushed pineapple, seasoned salt, and 1 cup of of chopped pecans. Form the mixture into a ball in the bottom of the bowl and place it in a refrigerator for 5-15 minutes to start the firming process.
Now, remove the cream cheese mixture from the refrigerator and form it into a ball with your hands. On a separate plate, put the remaining 1 cup of chopped pecans and roll the formed ball in the nuts to cover the outside of the ball.
Place the Sweet And Savory Cheese Ball on the serving plate of choice, cover with saran wrap and refrigerate until serving.
Tips & Tricks
- The cheaper nut alternative to pecans is walnuts if you would like to use those as a substitute. Walnuts are indeed a more affordable option. However, I believe that pecans offer a unique taste profile that reminds me that it is a special occasion nut!
- Save yourself, and don’t attempt to mix this ball up with cream cheese that has NOT been softened, or you will be miserable. Take the cream cheese out of the refrigerator an hour or two before using it.
- Ensure that the crushed pineapple is well-drained, or your cheese ball ingredients will not combine well, and the ball will be soggy. Use a fine-mesh strainer and fork to squeeze out as much liquid as possible.
What To Serve With This Sweet And Savory Cheeseball?
This cheese ball is a heavier spread, so you want to have a cracker to hold the weight. The most cherished cracker that my gang likes are the good, old Ritz Cracker. Those crackers’ buttery taste with the cheese ball is a winning combination.
In addition to the Ritz Cracker, I also like to offer 2 or 3 other cracker options for guests to enjoy. The second cracker choice is usually a ground wheat cracker that helps those with a healthy, focused mindset and frankly tastes damn good. Lastly, I usually also include a Triscuit cracker, a fabulously sturdy cracker with a great texture. If you can find the triangles-shaped ones, they make for a visually exciting platter!
If you enjoyed this recipe, please comment your thoughts below! Also, to not miss any other amazing recipes, follow Food Devoted on Instagram | Facebook | Pinterest and sign up to receive our blog notifications by subscribing to our email.