As the fall weather starts to approach, you start to crave those hearty, comforting dishes that warm you all over. Unquestionably, soup and stews come to mind, but chili is a staple here in the midwest. And that my friend, is the reason that I have to share with you my White Bean Chicken Chili Recipe!
Everyone seems to declare that their chili recipe is the best. The most common chili recipes are constructed using ground meat, and hamburger, with or without beans in a tomato base. Vegetables are packed in the sauce with a combination of peppers and spices to round out a robust flavor. I love my take on traditional chili with my Healthy Chipotle Chili With Sweet Potato recipe.
The recipe I am sharing here is a White Bean Chicken Chili that is so different from the traditional type that it truly stands out. It is one of my most requested dishes to make for our Super Supper Sunday meals for the family. Offering large chunks of chicken, centered in northern white beans stewed in a chicken broth base with a punch of flavor with green chili, onion and spices will definitely delight you.
Raw Chicken Breast HACK!
Before we get to the ingredients for the White Bean Chicken Chili, I wanted to let you in a great tip that will save you time, money, and a whole lot of dishes!
Instead of buying raw chicken breasts, cutting them into pieces, and then sauteing them off in preparation for use, you can skip all of that and grab a pre-roasted chicken from your grocery store. Personally, I like Costco for this because they are less than $5.00 and they are fully cooked! You cannot get a roasting chicken raw for that price!
Take the chicken, and carefully remove the breast meat. Then shred or cube the meat and add it to the dish. The breast meat will yield about 1 1/2 pounds of shredded meat and still leave you a bit left over for another use.
If you go this route, see the instructions to add your garlic with the onions instead of when you brown the raw chicken..
White Bean Chicken Chili Ingredients:
- Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts, cut into pieces or 1 pre-roasted chicken
- Olive Oil
- Garlic cloves, minced
- Chicken broth
- Onions, chopped
- Northern white beans
- Green Chilies, can
- Ground Cumin
- Cayenne pepper
- Hot sauce
- Shredded Cheese, for serving
HOW TO MAKE THIS WHITE BEAN CHICKEN CHILI RECIPE
- In a large pot, heat oil until hot.
- added chicken and garlic, being careful not to burn the garlic, for about 5 minutes. TIP: Keep in mind that if you prefer, you can use an already roasted chicken, from Costco because they are so cheap, and just use the breast meat and shred it. If so, add the garlic in with the onions and you do not have to cook the chicken before adding it to the chili.
- Add the onions and cook them until they are soft and translucent.
- Add the Chicken broth, beans, and green chilies, giving it a good stir.
- Now add the spices to the pot, cumin, oregano, pepper, and hot sauce.
- Let the white bean chicken chili simmer for at least 20 minutes.
- Sprinkle cheese over the chili and serve.
Can I Make This In A Crockpot?
Yes! The crockpot is my “jam”! Take the time to saute the onions, and garlic and cut up the chicken so you get some color on them before adding them to the crockpot. Add the other ingredients and cook on low 6-7 hours.
LOOKING FOR MORE DELICIOUS SOUP AND CHILI RECIPES? BE SURE TO CHECK THESE OUT:
- Healthy Chipolte Chili With Sweet Potato
- Homemade Tomato Soup
- 20-Minute Thai Red Curry Soup With Shrimp
If you enjoyed this recipe, please comment your thoughts below! Also, to not miss any other amazing recipes, follow Food Devoted on Instagram | Facebook | Pinterest and sign up to receive our blog notifications by subscribing to our email.